Monday, October 26, 2009

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

So I went to go and see The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus last week. I really wanted to like this film. As a wannabe film maker I felt that I should like Terry Gilliam’s off the wall creative mind. This is now the fourth film of his I have seen and I have come to the conclusion that I do not like him. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was just odd. I still don’t really understand what the mirror was. There was this mirror that when people went through, they where transported into another world. Or was it his mind, or was it the persons mind. Was Doctor Parnassus just a gate keeper to another world or was he opening up his mind to let others see his. I spent the majority of this film either confused or getting annoyed at the silly animation. The only thing I did like was the way they dealt with Heath Ledger’s death. It was cleaver how they brought in other actors to play his part and the change was subtle. Even though these actors are not in the film for that long the film company can still put their names on the posters which will pull in even more of an audience.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you thought the animation was silly, but I think I'm conditioned to like it - basically it's like the high-tech CGI version of Gilliam's work with Monty Python.

    My understanding of the mirror was that you went through it into a realm which Dr Parnassus facilitated, and shared with Mr Nick, but I'd agree - it's not always clear, and I could be perfectly wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that you would be wrong. You should be able to take from the film what you want to and if you think that is what it meant then it did mean that to you.

    ReplyDelete