Monday, October 5, 2009

"Everyone wants to be found"


An apathetic ageing film star felt his life had no meaning until he met a newlywed in Tokyo and formed an unlikely bond that revitalised him.

That is the one line that sums up one of my favorite films " Lost in Translation" starring Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson. I adore this film for a few reasons but first I will tell you what its about.

Basically its about a man called Bob who is filming an advert in Tokyo and is fed up living a mundane life. He is bored and has lost the flame that used to be inside him. Charlotte is just the girl that can relight that flame. She is staying in the same hotel as Bob and is just as bored as he is. Together they form a wonderful bond as they can relate to each other by talking and spending time with each other. And that's about it.

The wonderful thing about this movie is that not much happens but that is what helps it be fantastic. All it is is two people meeting but you still feel so much for both of them and you can really see deep inside of them as characters. A lot of people hate this film because of this. They think that this film is boring and expect them to fall madly in love and want more from it.
However I love that you can just sit back and take in the beautiful cinematography and enjoy the fantastic acting.

Also the soundtrack is brilliant. There is not one song that I did not like in this film. One of my favorite songs " Just Like Honey " features in this film. This is my first time reviewing a film and I don't think I am getting across the true beauty of this film. So I strongly suggest that you watch it and maybe you can tell me how best to describe it. You will either hate this film or be as intrigued as I was by it. I look forward to either talking to you about how good this film was or trying to convince you why you are wrong :P


Here is the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgDgs5anKuk



1 comment:

  1. I'd agree with you, it's a beautiful film. What makes it work for me is that it encapsulates that maxim "show don't tell" - it never signposts the growing relationship the characters have, it just lets the camera sit back and watch as the story unfolds. A reason some people might not like it so much is that it makes you decide what' happening rather than telling you in an obvious way - more effort for the viewer!

    ReplyDelete