Tuesday, February 9, 2010

City Lights And The End Of An Era.


This was the last silent film we will be watching for a long time in Andy's class's. It was a good one to finish with because talkies had been around for four years and this film shows that words are not important to a story. You could have had dialogue in City Lights but like Sunrise it would have ruined it. This film was to all about looks and little moments. Chaplin thought that he didn't need sound for his films (he was right) and was the last person to make a "good" silent film. I thought that this was his best work out of all of the films I have seen of his. This is because he been making films for quite a few years and has mastered his art. This film was less silly. The jokes where not as slapstick as they have been in some of his older films. I found myself laughing at the situation as a whole rather than him just falling over with style. 

I think that most of the class found this the funniest or maybe it was only Julia's laugh that I could hear as I was sitting beside her. Also we are all now used to watching silent film and can understand them more and what they meant. When I compare it to Battle Ship or Birth of a Nation it is far more enjoyable and much easer to watch. 

I am glad we have watched all the silent films we have. I think it is important to know how it all starred if I am wanting to make a film. I have also learned that you can make a wonderful story with no words and in black and white. I am glad that we will start watching talkies but grateful that I have seen where it all began. 

No comments:

Post a Comment