Friday, February 12, 2010

Moodle Me Silly


So we have all been moodling crazy over the last week in order to try and prepare for the big debate. This turned out to be a lot harder than I thought it would be. It seemed like we were fighting a lost cause but I did try my best to convey our argument that TV is basically rubbish.

I first thought that we could just come up with a few solid arguments and that would be it. Simple. However I then found out that we had to research our argument and base our argument on facts. So I suggested some topics that we could look into. Everyone then put in their own thoughts and we quickly all had some sort of area that we could look into. I thought I could look into ratings decline and desensitisation towards certain aspects of TV. I then discovered that is was very hard to prove that because there are less people watching a show at one time it must mean that TV is not as good. There as so many more channels now so there is a bigger audience just spread over a mass amount of channels. I also struggled to prove that shows could not shock people and that now it is the norm to see someone be killed on TV but back in 1980 it would have been a big deal. I did the best I could and thought that I would be able to play a better part in the debate when it was our turn to challenge the other group.

I took down notes of things that I thought I could pick up on as the group was talking. We did challenge them in some of their points but they were able to tear us apart a lot more than we could do to them. I think that we still did a good job and put across our point the best way we could. Everyone in my group researched very well and were all committed to try their best.

Overall I would say that we lost the debate but that is not what I will take away from this. I would never have thought that we could have talked about TV in the way we did at the start of the course. I did not realise how much I had learned until Andy pointed it out at the end of our debate. At the start of the course we were all asked what we thought TV was and I remember answering something along the lines of it is box that shows TV shows and films. This sort of revelation was able to make myself not feel defeated that we had not won and destroyed the other group like we had in Richards’s class. Maybe if I had bought some wine gums for Andy he would have been able to make us win.

No comments:

Post a Comment