Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Up In The Air. Whats the fuss?



So Up in the Air. Oh how I wanted that to be brillint and oh how it wasn't. It was nice but not great. I was hoping to see another Lost in Translation but if I had wanted that I should have just watched it becuase I was not going to get it by watching Mr Clooney. Don't get me wrong I did like this film it just did not deserve the praise it is getting from the media. Overall it is funning in places, the acting is good and there are some nice scenes. But it is depresssing.

SPOLIERS. At the end of the film you do not feel satisfied. You are left feeling depressed which I do not think is a good thing. Shindlers List left you sad but in away kind of uplifted. This just makes you think well whats the point. He started off happy then realised he was wasting his life. The one girl he liked did not work out. So you are expecting some sort of arc but it does not come. He contiunes being miserable and un happy with his life. He was far better off at the start of the film.

Now the good bits. Well like I said there where some funny points to this film and some of them where very funny. I found my self laughing outloud at quite a few bits. Even though you feel a bit cheated at the end I think that that is kind of good. It is fresh. A film without a happy ending is not the end of the world. It makes it more true and you feel very sorry for George Clooney. This is very good I found myself really connecting with him at the end of the film. I could feel what he was thinking and he did not have to say a word.

I recommend you go see this film. Everyone is talking about it and you could go see alot worse. Just don't build your hopes up too much like I did and you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. I think there may be an age thing at play here. I thought Up in the Air was wonderful but it's charms are best appreciated from the perspective of having had a life in the working world and all that goes with it. Happily you have still to experience a lot of this although I'm sure Mcdonald's has its fair share. I would categorise the ending as downbeat rather than depressing and I think in being downbeat it is also provocative, which is no bad thing. The one thing which it does ask you to consider is whether he was, as you say, better off at the start of the film. I would be inclined to say no because life lessons have been learned and he is less insular. I'd love to know where Ryan Bingham goes after this - but that doesn't mean to say I want a sequel, it's just one of those things I find it interesting to speculate on.

    ReplyDelete