Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pure Poetry.




This blog is about the film Ada got me for secret santa, I know not so secret but I had to blog about it. The film is Natural Born Killers. I have just finished watching it and I want to talk about while it is still buzzing around in my head. This is without a doubt the most violent film I have ever watched, it was grouse and hard to watch at some bits. Like when a daughter burned her mum alive. So why did I like this film so much.


I think it was because the way it was portrayed. The basic story is of a couple as they go on a killing spree but it is intercut with flashes from inside their head. This is cool and arty but also the normal scenes are all at odd angles. I think this is to show how crazy they are in their head. They also light the scenes in interesting ways. Sometimes they will make a scene green when the main guy is thinking to show how sick he is in the head. They also use a lot of black and white and other effects during normal shots. This film is very fast and keeps you involved. This could be because their are almost 3,000 cuts in the film. Normally a film has about 600 to 700 cuts.


The acting in the film was incredible with a cast including Woody HarrelsonJuliette LewisRobert Downey Jr. and Tommy Lee Jones is was bound to be good. I have never seen Tommy Lee Jones like he is in this film. 
Also the way the characters speak is great. They speak with such poetry. The words seam to fly out of their mouths and don't bring you out of the film for one moment.  


"I see angels, Mickey. They're comin' down for us from heaven. And I see you ridin' a big red horse, and you're driving them horses, whippin' 'em, and the're spitting and frothing all 'long the mouth, and the're coming right at us. And I see the future, and there's no death, 'cause you and I, we're angels."


When I was listening to her say this I was engrossed by her words but I did not fully understand them. I think that a lot of themes and underlying messages went right over my head. I think that some of the images that you see which are meant to be inside their head represent something or mean something more than just random good looking images. However I was still able to enjoy this film follow the story line. 


I very much recommend you watch this film. If you liked Requiem for a Dream then I think you will like this film. Here is the opening scene to give you a flavour of the style of the film. Enjoy. 








2 comments:

  1. Do these crazy angles mean it's a German Expressionist style film? Probably! Murnau and Tarantino (I know it's directed by Oliver Stone, but he wrote it, and it feels more like one of his) best of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you could say that lol, I don't think Andy would like you saying that Tarantino and Murnau were best friends.

    ReplyDelete